Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chapter 3.18 - 16 years old- The beginning of agony

http://diaryofaya.blogspot.com/index.html#3372190542393850154

Wheelchair

“Aya, I bought you a wheelchair”
“Ah!”
Mum gently told me “Although the school has handrails along the hallway, but when turning, it could be pretty dangerous. While turning, you need to change from standing to squatting, then back to standing position again, sometimes there may be problems if u are impatient, not only that , u might fall during the process. If this problem continues, you won’t be able to go out alone. But with the wheelchair, even if you have not enough strength on your wrist, you just need to push the button gently and you can travel up the slope easily. I heard the wheelchair can travel around 5km/hour which is almost similar to walking speed. Not only it’s not dangerous, the operations are easy too which is very ideal for you to use. But you mustn’t be spoilt or too dependent to the wheelchair, must always use your own strength to walk, and not to be too lazy. Can you promise to learn well on the wheelchair operations?”
“Can I really travel outside all by myself finally?” I can’t help at the top of my world feeling my world has expanded one more round.
I want to travel all by myself.
No longer do I need to write down the name of the book I want and ask someone to buy it for me. It seems like a dream to me to see the bookstore boss passing the book I want directly to me.
Great! Before I proceed to Special School, I will read the operation manual and try practice outside.
The company sent the wheelchair to my house. I watched them setup the wheelchair, inserting the two handles, on the button and the wheelchair is ready to go.
“Aya, try the wheelchair. You just have to grab the handle and push back and forth, you can go anywhere with it and the operations are very easy.”
I sat on it; slightly push my hand forward and the wheelchair moves forward. The wheelchair produces a soft sound while moving. I tried turning and pushed myself to practice for a while. Not for a short while, my usual tantrum started again, my tears can’t help falling.
“What happened?”
“It’s been a long time since I can move around with freedom. I am so happy.” Although replying that, but my heart felt complicated, words could not describe how I feel right now. I want to practice hard and sooner or later I will be able to travel to the bookshop with no problems.
I looked out the window and it was raining.
I work hard cleaning the kitchen and toilets and felt like a new strength has been injected to my body.
Although I have stop studying (Luckily I still felt like a student)
Talking about the wheelchair, (Note: Japanese translated as “Car Chair”) In Japanese, Sister can be known as chair and father as car, combining would be a wheelchair. ??????? Pardon my understanding for this paragraph.
During my first year in school, my younger sister saw the wheelchair in a hospital; and was so tempted to sit on it and play. Mum said, “Wheelchair is not for you to play. They are for people who are inconvenient to walk.”
Till now, I still remember these words.
I can’t help thinking (Some people from a camp in Germany I think) that we are alike because our feelings are starting to get numb as time goes by.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment