Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chapter 3.17 - 16 years old- The beginning of agony

Shopping

My mom was making phone calls to different places and suddenly shouted from downstairs, “Let’s take Aya to Yuni ( a shopping center). They said they have a wheelchair so Aya, you can go too!”

It was during spring break and we were all at home. After taking forever for me to get ready, they put me in the car and off we went. We arrived at Yuni in 15 minutes.

With my favorite pochette hanging from my neck, I looked around the apparel section with my sister pushing the wheelchair from the back.

Everything looked interesting to me.



There was a pretty skirt and I wanted to wear it.

Since I always crawl, wearing a skirt would hurt my knee so I have always worn pants.

Wearing a skirt was a dream for me.

I grabbed some courage and pointed to the skirt.

My mom said, “It would be nice if you had one. It’s going to get warmer soon,” and bought me the skirt.

I was really happy. If I wore a white laced blouse with this flower printed skirt, and stood up straight and tall, I wonder if everyone would tell me I look cute. Just once…I would like to be told that.

We bought a lot of underwear, socks, and towels for my new life in the dorm.

Suddenly, I became sad. I’m going to the dorm in a few days and live away from my family. I had promised myself not to cry anymore, but I just can’t help it. Be strong. Be a strong person who can overcome anything.


Sidenote: Pochette is something perhaps many people are not familiar with. I think it is a more common word in Japanese, but it is a small bag carried around the shoulder. Below is a sample picture of a pochette.

-Kiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment